Wednesday, December 10, 2008

3rd Anniversary

As of today, Steve and I have been married 3 years. So have Tracy and Donovan. Anyhow, it's been a very busy 3 years for us. We've had two baby girls, bought a house, bought a minivan, I've had multiple jobs, and I've been in grad school and doing my internship. Very busy. I can't say things have happened on the time table I would have originally wanted, but this is way better. And I am definitely better at planning and working ahead now. :)

Last Sunday I went to a "baby" shower for Steve's aunt and uncle who are adopting a 4 year old girl from China. While there I was talking to Great Aunt Rita (MaryLou the first's sister) and Aunt Ruth, who married one of the Scott men. After I explained that Ella was home with Steve because the shower was during her nap time, Rita commented on how great he is with the girls. I agreed and Ruth said that all the Scott men are that way, sensitive, genuinely partners in marriage and parenting, and they love babies. I wholeheartedly agree - Scott men make good husbands. At family gatherings, the uncles are as likely to pass the newest baby around as the aunts are. They spend time with their wives and play with the kids. It's a great family to marry in to. When Steve proposed, it was only six weeks after our first date. But I knew his family well and I saw the example his parents set and I had spent enough time with Steve to know that he is a lot like his parents. He is wonderful with the girls and he always does bath time. He gets down on the floor and plays with them but he also feeds them, changes diapers, and disciplines them. And he even gets up with them during the night. He is a great daddy and adores his little girls. I knew he would, because I could see that from his dad. And now I know that's how all the Scott men are.

But there's more even than Steve being a good dad. We have a great time hanging out together and he makes me laugh. He is unwaveringly supportive, whether it's school or losing weight or trying something new with the girls. He is affectionate and he really tries to make me happy, even if he doesn't completely understands why something upsets me or is important to me. And while he doesn't always do something special when I'm hoping for it, he does thoughtful things for me a lot, like buying me flowers for Ella's birthday or scraping the snow off the van for me. The little gestures like that mean more to me than grand gestures. I have a wonderful husband who is truly my partner and I am thankful for him and for all the other Scott men that set that example for him.

No comments: