Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Mia's Hives

Last time I updated was the day I took Mia in to get her hives checked out again. No fever (so no chicken pox and not contagious) and it didn't appear to be an allergy, bacterial, or fungal. Instead, the doctor said it appears to be viral. He said it should clear up on its own in 7 to 10 days and she didn't need Benadryl unless she was really itchy. Okay.

So I didn't give Mia any meds that night. Thursday morning she looked worse than ever and she was scratching. I gave her some Benadryl and gave her more than night before bed. Friday morning she still looked bad. I called the doctor's office and waited for their return call. He said to try Claritin syrup. We picked some up that night and gave her a dose. It's just one dose every 24 hours. She's mostly cleared up now, thank God. Hopefully they'll be completely gone in the next few days.

I try to avoid talking too much about my weight loss attempts here, but I did mention my physical. So here are the results: physically, everything looks great. I had a complete blood panel done and my cholesterol, blood sugar, and thyroid levels are completely normal. So are my blood counts. Great news, although it didn't explain the whole not losing weight issue. So I'm adjusting my calories and hoping for the best. The doctor did say he could prescribe a pill, but it would be an appetite suppressant and I haven't had problems staying in my calorie range. I doubt I'll go that route.

Nora just keeps growing. She's healthy and happy, except when Steve makes a weird noise and then she freaks out and screams for a while. She has to be able to see what's going on and she likes to squirm around on the floor. She rolls well, but doesn't bother to do it very often. Her grasp is strong too and she's starting to show interest in toys. Mainly they go in her mouth and she gnaws on them, but it's still interest. :) She giggles all the time and loves smiling at most people.

Ella likes to pretend. She pretends to cook, pretends to shop, pretends to be different things, etc. She has a great imagination. She likes to make up stories too and likes to "read" the bedtime story (she makes up a story based on the pictures). She also likes to shout random strings of words, like "cucumber tomato factory!" She's the great imitator too. She repeats all kinds of things she hears, some used appropriately, some not. Either way, it's usually hilarious. A favorite is "Ella out. PEACE!" with a flash of the peace sign. Seriously. Yesterday she did part of my workout with me.

Mia is a creature of habit. There's one toy that she wears on her wrist as a bracelet everyday. When she curls up on the floor with her blanket, she always uses the rose pillow. She has to have certain colors of things. Along with the bracelet, she carries a bag with random things in it and wears her sunglasses. She likes to pull them down her nose and peer over them at you. And dancing is one of her favorite things. She's affectionate and encouraging. She cheered me on while I worked out yesterday.

On to the subject of work...Steve likes his new job much better but it's been stressful lately. Basically they're understaffed and not hiring. Not cool. I'm working one day a week. I've been offered more hours but declined. In my busy little life, working is low on my list of priorities. If it's going to take me away from my family, it needs to be something I'm passionate about. Problem is, with all the appointments and sickness and life, I've worked once in the last 5 weeks. I have a chiropractor appointment tonight and Regan is sick, so no work. Next week, my sitter requested off for her husband's vacation. The one week I did work, Mia didn't feel good and I almost left early. Aside from my heart not being in it, it's not fair to my employer that I'm rarely there when scheduled. And so I'm going to let them know I can fill in when someone is on vacation, but I need to be taken off the schedule. I know, I must be nuts, giving up a job in this economy. But being with my family ranks higher right now.

Anyhow, I'm now typing one-handed because Nora needed a bottle, so that's all for now.

No comments: