Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Thank you, Alexander Graham Bell

I hate phone calls from solicitors. They're slightly better than people who look like they're 12 knocking on my door and saying they just need to see a copy of my electric bill, because it's much easier to hang up than just shut the door in someone's face. But we seem to get a lot of them and I don't like it. Since today is election day, we've also had a ton of political calls lately. I should probably just stop answering the phone if I don't know the number, but I haven't. And so this morning happened.

At 7:45, the phone rang. People know not to call my house that early, except in case of emergency. Caller ID said "Not Available 191079." Obviously not an emergency. I answered and said hello several times before there was a click, a "good-bye," and another click ending the call. I wrote it off as a political call.

I drove the girls to school and then walked down to the park to vote with Nora. When we got back home, there was a missed call at 8:44 from "Not Available 19." I'm glad I missed it and I'm starting to get a bit annoyed.

At 9:18, the phone rings again. Caller ID this time is M followed by a dozen numbers. I answer it and suspiciously say, "Hello?" It's an Indian guy who calls me Mrs. Scott and introduces himself as Steve from the Microsoft technical support call center. I interrupted him and said emphatically, "NO, you're not. I know this is a scam and I want you to stop calling me." Guys, he didn't miss a beat. He ARGUED with me and insisted he was from Microsoft and my computer is a mess. So I argued back and told him my computer is fine (he interrupted, insisting it wasn't) and I told him if there was a problem, my IT guy husband would fix it. I hung up and left the room. HE IMMEDIATELY CALLED AGAIN. I ignored it.

At 11:36, my phone rang again. It's the school. Cue the panic. Is one of the girls sick? Had some sort of accident? I answer it and am greeted by an automated voice reminding me that the school has half-days and conferences this week. Immediate sigh of relief.

I'm done with the phone today. Text me or send me a Facebook message if you need me.

No comments: