Thursday, February 12, 2009

Old friends and new teeth

After my previous lament about lack of friends, I have made a conscious effort to reconnect a bit more with old friends. I went to a bridal shower for one friend that I haven't seen since my wedding day. We have the kind of relationship where we understand life is busy and it's okay if we don't talk or see each other for a while. Every time we do see each other again, it's like no time has passed and we're still as close as ever. It was wonderful to see her again and I'm so happy for her as she prepares for her upcoming wedding.

I called another friend on my way to the shower after hearing a song on an old CD that made me think of her. She told me some wonderful news and it was so nice to catch up with her again.

I reconnected with a few other friends on Facebook, ones I haven't seen in probably seven years. These were just simple messages sent back and forth, reminding me of a different time and a different version of me.

I spoke to one of my best friends on the phone recently. She's one of the few that doesn't have kids yet that I don't hesitate to invite over. She loves all kids and I get the feeling she views my girls as "bonus" nieces. I know she enjoys seeing them and doesn't mind the interruptions while we sit and chat.

I called yet another friend today. Her life circumstances are simple to mine; age 25, married less than 5 years, and 2 children ages 3 and under. So she understands a lot of what my life is like with the added benefit that we've known each other since at least middle school and have been close friends since college. It was refreshing to talk to her in a way I can't quite explain. And although she lives far away, she visits when she's in town and she's only a phone call away.

I have also talked to my mom and both of my sisters on the phone quite a bit this week. All of these conversations have served as a wonderful reminder that there are different types of friends. Some understand our circumstances, some just understand us, some are a connection to the past and who we used to be. But I know I have a lot of wonderful friends (and family) who care about me no matter what. And that gives me a lot to be thankful for.

As for what's going on at our house, Amelia has a tooth! I discovered it last night when I felt her gums for teeth (I do that every so often). It explains why she's been fussy and congested lately and not sleeping well. As a result, we continued with the humidifier in their bedroom and gave her some teething tablets before bed and we all had the best night of sleep we've had in weeks.

Ella continues to talk more and more. Today she pointed out to me "Amia is SLEEPING." At a different point in the morning she picked up Amelia's bottle, said "Bottle," and then attempted to hand it to Amelia, saying "Here you go." The hand off didn't work and as the bottle fell, Ella said "Never mind." She also calls us each "cute," "silly," or "pretty" depending on what we're doing. To make her laugh (or at least stop crying) we've started putting the clean diaper on our head while taking off the wet diaper. This usually makes Ella stop and call us either silly or pretty. The other night Steve did this while getting her ready for bed. From the living room, I heard Ella stop crying and say "Daddy, you're PRETTY." That kid cracks me up. :)

No comments: