Sunday, April 12, 2009

A wedding with two toddlers...

Happy Easter! Yesterday we went to a wedding for one of Steve's friends. The girls were also invited and it was in town, so we tried to coordinate nap times so they wouldn't be too cranky. Amelia got up from a nap shortly before we left and we planned to put Ella down for a nap after we got home.

It started out well. Both girls were pretty content and sitting quietly - until right after the bride made her entrance. So I took Amelia out to the foyer and took her shoes off so she could walk around out there. That worked until she face-planted. She screamed bloody murder and it took quite a while to get her calmed down again. I finally took her in the nursery (despite there being flowers, purses, and other pre-wedding items in there - why do they always get ready in the nursery?) and she calmed down and started playing with some toys. Then I noticed the blood. It was on her chin and her sweater and her hand (from putting it in her mouth - she's a thumbsucker) and there was a little on my dress too. She must have bit her tongue or lip when she fell. Luckily there was a spray bottle of water to keep the flowers looking fresh so I used that and got the blood out of everything. I found some napkins in there too to clean up poor Amelia's chin and hand. A few minutes later, when she decided to try to go through someone's purse, I scooped her up and we headed back to the foyer for the remainder of the ceremony. We finally went back into the sanctuary in time for the recessional.

Then Amelia started squirming and fussing. It was at this point that I realized we didn't feed her after her nap and we forgot to bring her bottle. Luckily we had a baggy of Goldfish crackers so I pulled those out, hoping that would be enough. The poor girl devoured them by the handful. Ella was still doing well. She was just tired enough that she sat quietly during the ceremony with Steve. A few minutes later we were excused from the sanctuary and went into the fellowship hall for the reception.

Things started out well there too. We gave each of the girls their sippy cups and Ella sat next to Julia while Amelia sat with Doug. They both got some snacks and so Steve and I did too. After a while I looked over to see Steve picking Ella up, leaving a puddle and her diaper on the chair. Apparently the cheaper diapers we bought have weaker tabs on the side, which broke. Then Ella, who was wearing a dress without bloomers or tights, emptied her bladder on the chair. Luckily it was a wooden chair. Steve noticed first, seeing a small puddle and thinking Ella had spilled some lemonade. Then he noticed it was a big puddle and then he picked her up, leaving the mostly dry diaper behind. So I grabbed a stack of napkins and a fresh diaper. Steve cleaned up the chair while I led poor Ella over to a more secluded spot and put a dry, intact diaper on her. I think she thought she was in trouble and the poor girl's lip was trembling and she was about in tears. The bottom of her dress was soaked and she seemed embarrassed. Once she was fully covered again, I asked her if she was okay. She said, "yes, I'm okay." (It's much cuter to hear her say it.) Since I hadn't had a chance to eat my cupcake yet, Steve took her outside to walk around while I ate.

So I sat back down and picked up my cupcake. I started unwrapping it when I lost my grip and dropped it. It hit the edge of my plate, flipping it and sending Chex mix flying, and bounced, landing frosting side down on the table. I'm sure I turned bright red and I cleaned up my mess and mumbled, "I am not having a good day." Needless to say, I finished my cupcake quickly and then we left for home. In retrospect, the whole day is comical, but I think next time we'll hire a babysitter...

No comments: