Sunday, January 11, 2009

The fun of parenting

Parenting is more work than I would have imagined but it's also much more fun. Things that adults don't normally do are acceptable to do if you do them with your child. Plus there's the added benefit of seeing the childlike joy Ella and Amelia get learning something new. So here's a partial list of things I have either been reintroduced to or things that are more fun re-experienced with with kids.

- Coloring. Ella loves to color and loves it even more if I stand there and either color with her or draw something for her to color. Thankfully, my rusty doodling skills are good enough that she can tell what I drew.
- Sledding. So far it's just in our yard but Ella loves it and I now have a new excuse to play in the snow.
- Christmas. The gift part of Christmas loses its sparkle as we get older, but it's so much fun to watch the girls open gifts and play with their new toys. I think this was the best Christmas I can remember (minus the week of sickness), partly because I got a few great gifts but mainly because the girls enjoyed it and we had a lot of good time with family.
- Cutting out Christmas cookies. It went much faster after Ella went to bed, but she had a blast pushing the cutters into the dough. She announced "teddy bear!" almost every time and eventually decided they were Care Bears.
- The first snow. I love it when Ella stands at the window and cries "'no!" (She doesn't pronounce the S.)
- First steps or walking in general. So far Amelia is crawling and cruising but I know those first few steps are coming soon. But let's face it, it's just not exciting if I walk across the room.
- Dancing. Ella has started dancing more lately and Amelia bobs to music. And they giggle when I dance around.
- Building with blocks. Steve loves to sit on the floor with the girls and build things. Ella knocks his creations over once he's done and Amelia gums the blocks, but they all have fun.
- Playing on the floor. It doesn't matter what we're doing, both girls LOVE it when Steve and I sit on the floor with them.
- Reading books I had when I was little. So much fun! Ella loves all books and her favorite is Rainbow Brite. There are toys too (Reid bought Amelia a Pound Puppy for Christmas and I was sooo excited!) and I'm sure there will be games in a couple years.
- Just goofing around. I do things in public now to make the girls giggle that I wouldn't have been caught dead doing a couple years ago. (That sentence doesn't make much sense. Hm. I make faces, dance, sing, and wiggle around for a smile or giggle now and I would have been so embarrassed to do those things in the middle of a store before.)

There are so many more things I can't think of right now. Everything is different and new when you're looking at it with a little kid. It makes everything fun and special and interesting. Life is full. Who knew kids would be so much fun and give me permission to be a kid again too?

No comments: