Saturday, January 10, 2009

My Mom

When I was little, I was a big fan of Amy Grant. I had all her tapes (it was the 80's) and when I was 9, my family went to Creation in Pennsylvania. Amy Grant was the final act on the final night and my mom stayed with me so I could see her while Dad packed up the camper and the van. It probably wasn't a big deal to my mom but it was a big deal to me. I can think of a lot of memories like this one, where Mom did something relatively small for me but inconvenient for her. I think it might just be her nature, but those times mean a lot to me and were a good example for me of how to be a good mom.

My mom is one of the sweetest, most unassuming, gentle people I know. She very rarely says anything bad about anyone and it tends to be comical when she does because it's so out of character for her. She works hard to take care of us and always did her best to make things special for us. She has a great relationship with her mom and sister and had a great one with her brother too, which again set a good example for us kids. It was always fun to see Mom giggling with Aunt Marie over something that no one else understood. She has always been good about explaining why we were in trouble or couldn't do something or have something (Dad was too, but this post is about Mom). They handled our transitions to independence and adulthood gracefully and I have loved seeing them as grandparents. I really appreciate how they've allowed us space but are always there to help when we ask. To this day, the best compliment I have been given was that I have my mom's heart and my dad's spirit. I think I've learned to appreciate everything they did more, especially Mom with her quiet ways, since I've become a parent. She is exactly what a mom should be.

Over the past week, the first line of an old Amy Grant song has been running through my head: Laura loves her little family. I looked up the rest of the words today and the song expresses my sentiments. I also think it describes Mom perfectly.

Saved By Love by Amy Grant

Laura loves her little family
And she's the kind of woman who loves them with her life
But sometimes in the evening
When the world rests on her shoulders
With four walls pressing in
She'll close her eyes
Ohh

It's not like she misses being younger
Though she never was in Vogue magazine or on tv
Her husband loves her dearly
And more than shows her clearly
Kiss her little baby girl
Laura, she's the queen of the world

Can't imagine ever leaving now
Now that she's been saved by love
Listen to her quiet heart singing loud
Laura, she's been saved by love
I know that she's been saved by love
Saved by love

There's nothing quite like my family's love to warm me
Nothing short of death is ever gonna leave me cold
Well, still at times it's lonely
But through it all it only
Makes me love Jesus more
And this is what He came here for

Can't imagine ever leaving now
Now that I've been saved by love
He's gone and turned my crazy world back around
And I've been saved by love
I know that I've been saved by love
Saved by love

I'm saved by love
That's right
And nothing I can say
Nothing I can do, nothing I can say

We're all just saved by love
Nothing you can say, nothing you can do
Only love can say, only love can do
Only love can say.

I'm saved by love.

Being a mom can be a thankless job at times. It is rewarding but tiring. Too often moms get the blame but not the credit for how their kids turn out. So, Mom, thank you for everything you've done for me and for the example you set for me. I love you!



One of my favorite pictures of Mom.

No comments: