Friday, March 6, 2009

Family of book worms

In the past week, Ella has had an ear infection and a cold and Amelia has had a cold. It's made for a rough week, especially since I was gone 28 hours at my internship (still chipping away - only 139 hours to go!). Last Friday I stayed home because Ella was so miserable. All day Friday and all day Saturday there were only two things that made Ella feel better: being held by either me or Steve and her books. The kid adores books. This makes me very happy.

I've always loved to read. Unfortunately it's been a few years since I did much pleasure reading, primarily because of grad school and becoming a mom. But when I was pregnant with Ella and hadn't started school yet, I read voraciously. I read the entire Anne of Green Gables series. I read the Chronicles of Narnia. That makes 15 and I read other miscellaneous books too. And I've been reading for years. We have pictures of me as a toddler, reading to my dolls and asleep on a pile of books I had been reading.

Steve is the same way. He read his mom's college textbook for English when he was in junior high. He reads almost every night before bed. He is a wealth of information because of it too.

Amelia is off to a good start. She will sit on the floor surrounded by books and be content for quite a while, the same way Ella always has. She always wants to hear Ella's bedtime story too. We read Ella a book every night before bed as part of her routine. She receives books and a magazine in the mail and on the days those come for her, she carries them around all day long. Books are her favorite and I love that books were comforting to her. I hope it always stays that way.

No comments: