Saturday, July 11, 2009

A Saturday at home

Today has been more or less a regular day at home. The girls woke up late (so I did too) because we stayed late at Aunt Rita and Uncle Fred's house last night. It was a first time in a long time we've been over there and it's possible that it was Amelia's first time ever. So we stayed late, like 10:30pm late. I know, it's not that late. Unless of course you have two toddlers who normally go to bed by 8:30. They did well, but I warned Steve repeatedly that they would be cranky today. Unfortunately, I was right. But that's not the important part.

Steve made breakfast (waffles and eggs) and later made the girls lunch. We also did laundry, which he folded while the girls were eating lunch. I mended the pocket on a pair of Steve's shorts (the only pair of his that fit well). The girls went down for naps and then Steve did yard work while I worked on reorganizing the spare room.

Normally our spare room is a bit cluttered, as it's the guest room, office, and general catch-all room. Art supplies, gift-wrapping supplies, and random computer parts are stored in there. ALL the girls' clothes are in there. Now, we have very kindly been given boxes and bags of clothes for them. Some currently fit one or the other, some are too big for either, some are too small for either, and some are in between girls right now. But they're all in that room, waiting to be sorted and stored or worn. Plus there's a desk, hamper, tv and stand, stereo, dresser with changing table on top, and a twin bed in there. So it's full.

Then I had to make a trip to Evart to clean out my old room or, more specifically, my old closet. It's the biggest closet in that house and I had it pretty full. So I took a weekend last month and drove to Evart alone with our minivan to clear it out. I came back with a full load and we needed to put it somewhere where A) I could get to it to sort through it and B) the girls couldn't get into it. Since we can gate that doorway, all those boxes ended up in the spare room.

It's been bothering me but I knew it was something I would need to do several hours at a time so I probably couldn't do it during the week. Our weekends have been pretty full so I put it off. But Steve was doing yard work today so I knew it was time to just do it already. Some of the boxes were fragile items wrapped in clothes, so those needed to be unpacked and repacked (all of it would end up broken if I tried to display it somewhere right now) in something other than clothing. Since I hoard tissue paper that was no problem. Other boxes were papers and things that needed to be sorted. I only got through some of those boxes but I did pull some of it out to toss. Like a card from an ex-boyfriend. Ripping it up was cathartic. Some stuff the girls can have to play with and some things I've set aside for a garage sale.

There are whole boxes of things I'm not sure what to do with: plaques, trophies, old Bibles, pictures of boys I liked or who liked me, cassette tapes, agates and shells, toys that are too small for the girls to play with, jewelry boxes, etc. I have two hand soap dispensers. Four jewelry boxes. Three Bibles (so far). Three stress balls. Dozens of bookmarks. Lots of assorted jewelry (to fill all the boxes?). A collection of the cases and boxes jewelry comes in. There's at least one box full of pens, pencils, and markers.

I think I may be a bit too nostalgic for my own good. There are some cards I kept that have letters from my deceased grandmother. Reasonable to keep those but when am I ever going to look at them? They'll sit in a box until I sort through it and read it and pack it away again. Maybe my memory is too good. I find something and there's always a memory associated with it. Maybe if my memory was worse I wouldn't keep so many things. Hmm. Oh well. I guess for the time being I'll just finish my walk down memory lane and pack the things I don't want to part with yet. When I come across these boxes in the future, I'm sure I'll enjoy the memories again.

No comments: