Thursday, July 30, 2009

Little bits of news

Okay, so I said I'd post about the family reunion. I still might, just not right now. There are some other things I wanted to say instead.

I'm licensed now! I have my resume and cover letter together, I just need to send them in now. I have a few places to send them. Honestly, I could have been applying for the past 7 weeks while I waited for my license but I procrastinated. I figured I had plenty of time. I'm hoping to find some contractual counseling work. Even part-time at a decent rate would help immensely with money issues and my sanity. Financially things are just a little tighter than we'd like. Not unexpected with the economy, but contractual work for me should solve it.

As far as my sanity, I feel a need to clarify. I love the girls and for the most part I love being home with them. However, I don't get a lot of adult conversation right now and don't get out of the house much either. That is starting to wear on me. Actually that has improved somewhat in the last two weeks. But Ella has been increasingly difficult. Typically she is sweet and cooperative, with the occasional defiance (read: she says "no!" but does what we ask). Lately though, she has this whiny quality to her voice and her cry - few things push my buttons faster than whining. And she will flat out refuse to do anything we ask - pick up toys, go upstairs, go downstairs, go to the diaper change area, go to her high chair. She throws herself on the floor, crosses her arms, pouts, and whines. If you try to move her, she starts screaming. If it was just a tantrum, I'd just leave her there and ignore her. But when she refuses to do something we ask, I feel like it warrants discipline because she's disobeying us. We've tried taking toys away. We've tried time outs. We've tried talking. We've even tried the occasional light spanking. Still it continues. I'm frustrated. So even though counseling tends to be a taxing job, it would be a welcome change right now and I would have more patience when I am home with her. (Mia has been more cooperative. It's like she's trying to cover for Ella because she doesn't like to see her get in trouble. She has been saying "no" more often though which I'm not pleased with.)

On a happier note, we tried a new church last Sunday. The teachings were sound, the people were friendly, the church was small enough we didn't go unnoticed, and Ella loved the nursery (Mia even stayed in there for a little while - something she's refused to do for months). We're planning on going again this Sunday.

That's most of the news here. Oh, I turned 26 on Monday. Steve made sure this birthday was better than last year. :) My parents stopped by and dropped off a deep freezer. Steve made me breakfast and bought me flowers. The middle of the day was unplanned and I got to relax for a while. After nap time we drove the girls out to Doug and Linda's campsite and then the two of us went out for dinner, mini golf, and ice cream before returning for the girls. It was a good day. :)

2 comments:

The Scott Household said...

Yay! Glad to hear you're going forward on the job front, you got a new deep freezer, a great birthday and dinner date AND a new church (where at?).

Boo to Miss Ella being a stinker. :( How about some time away next week? You, Me..Panera? Jax Coffee Co? You name it and we'll go :)

Liz said...

Oh Paula, I'm sorry things are hard right now! :(
Raising toddlers is not easy or for the faint of heart. Unfortunately, I have no real wonderful tips/trick/solutions for you. Choices (lots and lots of choices) about things I didn't care what J picked helped, but it's just a rough age. Glad Mia is being cooperative at least. :)
Hope you find the perfect job for you and continue to feel more welcome and plugged in at your new church--church shopping is hard too.