Friday, November 5, 2010

More random thoughts

- This morning, a man I don't know (at least I don't think I know) was in a car accident in Spring Arbor with his two grandkids. He died later at the hospital. The kids are okay but they lost their mom a few years ago. The whole is so sad and a sharp reminder to be careful and be thankful.

- Ella is making progress with the potty training. We still have her in pull ups but she stays dry most of the time and usually goes on the potty. I'm thinking we'll try her in real underwear again this weekend. It's easier when Steve is home too and we're usually doing laundry then anyhow. Mia will sit on the potty but hasn't peed on there once yet. Right now we're working on getting her more comfortable there so she can pee there once she has more bladder control. If we get even one out of pull ups/diapers, it'll save us a good $60 a month. Two of them out would practically save us a car payment.

- Nora is back to sleeping through the night pretty much every night. Mia is still not. I'm SO thankful that 2/3 are good sleepers. I've also come to the conclusion that I require a ridiculous amount of sleep to be a good, patient parent. Coffee and cardio help immensely too.

- Halloween (I will post pictures) was interesting. We went to Trunk or Treat and we cut in line. I don't feel bad. I have 3 kids under 4, it was cold, and we only did 1/3 of the cars. Plus we found out later that there were over 5000 people there. Still don't feel bad. Ella was a cheerleader, Mia was an Arabian princess (Ella's costume from last year), and Nora was a pink teddy bear. We also passed out candy the next night and I was reminded of how much I dislike other people's kids. Teaching manners and discipline isn't THAT hard. But it does take consistency, which is apparently more than the general public wants to do. (Friends, I like your kids. Thank you for being good parents and teaching your kids manners. I appreciate more than you know. Seriously. One of my biggest fears since my friends started having kids is that I wouldn't like said kids.)

- Becky is having a girl! I have no idea what name ideas they have yet. It appears that the grandparents are stuck in the pink world of princesses for a while longer. This means we'll have four nieces and no nephews. That's a lot of little girls when you add our three.

- There's more info on my other blog, but I'm down 42 lbs now. Only 18 left to my pre-pregnancy weight! I have a few sizes left to go too, but I'm happy with my progress and reasonably happy with my appearance now.

- October was a rough month and I was happy to see it go. November has been somewhat kinder already.

- Today was Liz and James' due date with Annika. She's now five weeks old and doing pretty well. I am so happy for them. James goes back to work on Monday and the grandmas had to go back home. Please keep praying for Liz as she continues to adjust to life with three kids and learns how to handle all three alone.

- I had a horrible hair cut last weekend. A bob, shorter than I wanted, all one length. No layers whatsoever. My head looked like a triangle and my hair looked flat. I gave it a day or two to try to adjust. It made me cry when I saw myself in the mirror. I called and said I wasn't happy. They were very gracious and had me come back in. This sweet girl fixed it. It's still far too short for a ponytail but I like it now. Moral of the story: speak up if you're not happy. Too often I let things go and I am so glad I didn't just let this go.

- I'm in a somber mood today. Maybe it's the weather and the news? I'm happy for what we have and our little life, but it's definitely a somber thankfulness and not remotely giddy.

No comments: