Monday, October 19, 2009

Sick :(

I'm sick. It started out last week as a runny nose and a scratchy throat at bedtime. No big deal. Friday I started getting more congested so I started taking Tylenol Cold (about the only thing a pregnant woman can take). Saturday it got worse. I was sneezing and blowing my nose a lot. Luckily that helped me avoid too much drainage and junk in my throat, but ugh. Sunday was worse and my voice started to go last night. Today my throat is killing me, my voice is barely there, and I'm still congested and sneezing. I called into work.

Luckily it's mostly me. Ella and Steve have had slightly runny noses and I hope that's all they get. Mia had the runny nose too, but seemed okay otherwise. Friday night she woke up crying about an hour after she went to bed (so it was 9:30). Steve tried to calm her down, then I held her while he gave her Tylenol, and finally I brought her downstairs when I noticed some raised bumps below her eye. Sure enough, Mia had broken out in hives. Part of her face, her back, her chest and stomach, her arms, and her legs. She didn't seem itchy but you could tell she was uncomfortable. Steve called his mom (our standby anytime the dr's office is closed, because after raising seven kids, she's seen every ailment there is) and she recommended a cool bath. So we stripped Mia down to her diaper and sponged her off with a cool washcloth. It seemed to help a bit and the bumps seemed to lose their redness and smooth out. Poor kid would have nothing to do with her bed though. She finally let us lay her down around 12:30. The only thing we could figure out that caused it was a blanket. It's a lightweight comforter from Kat, my wonderful friend and sitter. We hadn't washed it since she gave it to us, but she uses the same laundry detergent we do. However, they do have a dog and Mia's translucent skin is pretty sensitive. The hives never came back once we removed the offending blanket.

But that wasn't the end of our night. Mia woke up crying and coughing around 2:30. We already had a humidifier running in their bedroom, so we gave her another dose of Tylenol. But the poor kid refused to let us put her down again. Finally Steve brought her back to bed with us, where she fell asleep on his chest and he fell asleep too. He finally laid her back down in her crib around 3:30. By morning she seemed fine, other than a horrible sounding cough. To be safe, I took her to the doctor. We saw the NP in the office instead and she said Amelia seems to be doing okay and give her half a dose of Benadryl as needed. We haven't needed to give her any and she still has a bit of a cough and a runny nose. Since there's no fever and she's still having plenty of wet diapers, I'm not too concerned. I just hope we both feel better soon and we don't infect anyone else.

No comments: