Thursday, October 1, 2009

My little super heroes

As you can tell by the varying moods of my recent posts, my pregnancy hormones are in full swing. (Seriously did not mean that as a pun.) Steve manages to remain patient with me and my mood swings, despite this being pregnancy #3 in as many years. I think he's nearing sainthood. Pray for him and his continued patience if you think of it.

On to the reason for the post... The girls were easier today and I'm feeling a bit better today. Not great but better. I let the girls stay up a little longer before naps, because 1. they don't fall asleep until later anyhow and 2. they had a late lunch. So they pulled out the dress up clothes. This was the result.

Aren't they cute? Ella dressed herself first, asking me to tie her "cape." Mia of course copied Ella and brought another bandanna over for me to tie on her. Ella then announced, "We're super heroes!" Their daddy would be so proud. At one point she said they were super readers (it's a show on PBS about reading). She cried when it was time to put the costumes away and said, "I don't want to stop being a super hero." I responded by telling her Daddy would be happy to be super heroes with them after nap time. After changing her diaper I asked if she was still a super hero. She said no, she wasn't. LOL.

Ella also helped Mia get her sippy cup earlier. Mia had pushed it back in the entertainment center next to the tv and her arms were too short to reach it. Ella rescued it for her. I love it when they play nice and help each other.

Then we headed upstairs for nap time. Mia's crib has a side that drops down and the sliders have grease in them so they actually work. Not a problem unless Mia wedges a toy into one of them. Before it was her doll, Foofa. We had to take it and wash it. Both girls were upset about the missing doll. Both were ecstatic to have it returned, clean. Maybe I should explain here the toys in bed situation. Both girls have certain blankets they're attached to but only for nap and bed time. Both girls have a gloworm that lights up and plays music. Both have a pink doll named Foofa. Both girls have a sheep (Ella's is cream and says a bedtime prayer, Mia's is pink). Ella has an orange Care Bear and Mia has a soft book and a plushie Eeyore blanket. Anyway, the toy in question today was Mia's sheep. It's face was streaked with grease. The rest of it is covered in loops of yarn, probably not a good idea to launder it (there were no directions on the tag). So I tossed it in the hall so I could hand wash it while the girls napped.

Ella cried. She was incredibly upset that Mia lost her sheep. More upset than Mia. So I tucked them in, tried to calm Ella down, and crossed the hall with the sheep. I got it wet and then started scrubbing with hand soap. It came clean easily enough (thank God!) and I rinsed it a few times and got it as dry as I could. I re-entered their room and both girls were so happy. Ella settled down and Mia kept holding the sheep up and saying, "Keen." (That's clean for anyone not well-versed in toddler-speak.) They're still making noise, but they're happy to have the sheep back. Ah, empathy. I can't honestly say it's easy having toddlers, but life sure is interesting.

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

hi! i found your blog through liz slager's. i went to spring arbor as well.
just wanted to say i enjoy your blog. and i know what your days are like with children so close together...i've had 3 girls in 3 years!
i love how sweet your girls were being...isn't it so great when they are like that?!
-rebecca (st. james) goodman