Wednesday, September 30, 2009

And I'm grumpy again

It's been a rough week. I'm now 12 weeks pregnant, so I should be feeling better, right? Wrong. I feel worse than ever. I threw up Monday morning. I've felt awful the rest of the week. Today I felt like I could barely choke down my lunch.

This morning Amelia kept dropping her sippy cup of milk on the floor, on purpose. I got annoyed quickly because it spills easily. But oh no, the third time she dropped it, after I told her to stop, the lid popped off and chocolate milk exploded all over the living room floor. It's carpeted. I was mad. I yelled. She cried. No time out or punishment because she was so upset already.

Then Ella, who should be ready to potty train since she's almost three, had a dirty diaper. Not a big deal. But when I had the diaper off her and was cleaning her up, she let loose and I had to clean up a puddle. I was even more annoyed (and relieved I had bothered to grab the changing mat).

Then my boss's assistant who does the scheduling called. Since I felt awful when she called, I called her back a little later. Now, I asked for this week off. I'm not a regular employee, so this shouldn't be a problem, right? You'd think. In fact, I've turned down part-time and full-time positions there because I wanted to have more flexibility to say no when I don't want to work. But I still get called all the time to go in. I know I'm fortunate to have a good job and plenty of hours. But I also know my limits and with the pregnancy hormones coursing through my body, 12 hours a week is definitely my limit. And this glorious week (in which I of course seem to be coming down with some bug) was my week OFF. No work. Sigh. She asked me if I could work Friday. I said no, my babysitter isn't available on Fridays. She also said they had some questions on a triage I did and the agency I referred this client to keeps calling about it. Sooooo, I'm going in for a little while tonight to fix whatever questions they have. Bah. I swear, if I'm a fill-in employee, how is it that I'm so indispensable that I can't get one week off? No wonder people burn out so fast in the mental health field.

No break for the pregnant and exhausted.

3 comments:

The Scott Household said...

sorry :( Sounds like you might have a bug...a lot of that is going around.
It will get better, Paula. We love you. I think of you often and am thinking of you and that baby and your girls and Steve.

love you.

Paula said...

Thanks Amanda. Ugh, not a nice week. I've been thinking about your family too. Love you.

Liz said...

I'm sorry to hear your week has been a rough one. Hang in there, friend!