Friday, September 11, 2009

The change for 2010

Our family has had one big event each year. We got married in 2005, had Ella in 2006, bought our house in 2007, had Amelia in 2008, and I graduated with my masters in 2009. We thought 2010 would pass without anything quite that big, which was okay with us. We thought wrong. I'm 9 1/2 weeks pregnant with our third child, due April 13, 2010.

Without going into a lot of detail, my usually very regular cycle was messed up in July, so we were careful. At the end of the month, I bought some pregnancy tests, mainly to ease my mind because I didn't think there was any possible way I was pregnant. Wrong again. I took the test the day before I was supposed to get my period. Steve was at work and Ella was watching me and talking to me while I was waiting for the negative result. I felt a bit faint when I saw it was positive. Ella kept chattering. I got myself together and took the girls downstairs like any other morning. Steve always calls on his breaks, but he got his morning break late that morning. I was going nuts waiting for him to call. Finally he did and when I answered and said, "Finally! I thought you were never going to call!" he asked, "What's going on?" So I told him I took the test and it was positive. He was as stunned as me. Somehow we got through the day and I bought a 3-pack of tests that night. I took one that night, one the next afternoon, and one the evening after that. All immediately positive.

With my messed up cycle, we weren't sure when the baby was conceived. So after my initial doctor's appointment, he scheduled an ultrasound to date the pregnancy. The ultrasound showed the heartbeat and a baby measuring 7 weeks 3 days, putting our EDD at April 13, 2010. (That's two days before Amelia turns two.) I've had a fair number of symptoms so far, the most prominent being nausea. I've avoided actually getting sick, but feel nauseated most of every day.

So if I'm 9 1/2 weeks, why are we telling now rather than waiting until 12 weeks? Because we've known for 6 weeks already. And depending on the day/time of day/particular symptoms, I look pregnant. I'm mainly in maternity pants now - regular ones (unless I wear 2-3 sizes bigger than I was wearing) are too uncomfortable.

8 weeks 6 days

After adjusting to the idea, we like the idea of three kids. Although we didn't feel incomplete before, three kids feel like a complete family. We're still nervous. This will make three kids in three and a half years. Ella isn't potty trained yet. We were able to sleep through the night and were finished with bottles and bassinets and baby carriers. But I am glad we're having them close together. I don't think I'd want to return to cribs and diapers and car seats if we were out of that stage. But in case anyone is wondering, this will be our last. We have plans to ensure that. Three kids, especially so close together, is plenty.

In the meantime, I'm working part time and trying to feel halfway normal. At least I won't have class to deal with this time, right?