Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Sick kid

Last weekend was a long, holiday weekend. We had plans to go to my parents' house. Unfortunately I had to work until 7:00pm on Friday, so we packed that night to leave in the morning. Things were going well until Steve called me when I got out of the shower. Ella threw up. Other than being upset, she seemed okay. So we finished packing and left. We went to the bank and then Dunkin' Donuts and headed out of town. Ella still seemed okay but wasn't eating her donut hole. Around the time we got to Mason, she started saying, "No, mommy! No!" and threw up all over herself. Luckily we had a roll of paper towels in the van (from another eventful trip involving spilled coffee and vomit) so we stopped and mopped her and her carseat up and changed her clothes. We continued traveling, hoping things would get better from there. Once again, Ella seemed fine for a while. Then she said, "No, no, no!" and threw up again. I was trying to use paper towels to sop up the mess and she kept whipping them off her and onto the floor. So we stopped again, stripped the extra pad off the carseat, cleaned her up, changed her clothes, etc again. I went into the gas station and bought saltines and tums because I wasn't feeling so good now either. Luckily the rest of the trip was quiet and we only had another 20-25 minutes from the second stop. We washed everything from her carseat and everything she'd worn so far that day. Ella was fine after that.

That night we all went out to Old Country Buffet with almost everyone on Mom's side of the family. Grandma's birthday was Sunday and she turned 90. It was a great time and so nice to see family again. After dinner we went back to Mom and Dad's house for cake and ice cream and gifts. We got pictures of all the great-grandkids with Grandma. We would have done the grandkids too, but we were missing two. My cousins' kids are a little bit older and they had a great time playing with all our little girls. Dad of course had a great time showing off all his toys, especially his bikes.

Sunday was a quieter day. Tracy and I did a little shopping in the afternoon and then Leslie came later in the evening. We celebrated Chloe's birthday that night. The girls loved the cupcakes, party hats, and star sunglasses.

Monday started out with all the guys leaving to go golfing. Mia was awake so we got up and let Ella sleep in. I finally checked on Ella and she was awake and just laying in bed still. So I carried her out and changed her pull-up, which was almost completely dry. She felt warm too and seemed a bit lethargic. I got her a cup of milk and some chocolate chip Teddy Grahams and she sat on the floor eating. And then it happened. She threw up, all over herself and the floor. My sisters helped me clean her up and get her clothes changed (she refused to sit up). We got her a cup of watered down Gatorade and a bucket. I moved her so she could see the movie on the tv and she barely moved for a good hour. By the time she drank most of her Gatorade, she got up and was moving around a little and seemed fine. Sure enough, she didn't throw up again. She barely ate anything during the day but I wasn't about to push food on her and she was drinking fluids. The trip home was uneventful, but we had extra plastic bags and a roll of paper towels ready just in case. We did realize partway home that Tracy had left her wallet (minus her license and debit card) in our van, but things worked out Tuesday that she got it back that day.

Whatever it was, I'm glad it seems to be gone. It seemed like something just didn't settle right Saturday morning and then riding in the car made it worse (although she doesn't usually get carsick). But with getting sick again on Monday, I don't have a clue. If it was some sort of bug, I think she would have been sick all weekend or it would have been a one day thing. I'm just glad no one else caught it this time.

1 comment:

Liz said...

Aww, poor Ella!
Also, I know this sounds pretty strange, but if she spikes the fever and has the nausea again, you might want to take her in. Joshua had a very similar type of episode this winter and we found out after about the third occurence that it was pneumonia! I always thought of coughing, etc. as the primary symptom, but I guess it's not always in kids--usually more likely to be recurrent fever/vomiting and rasping.
Probably just a touch of a flu bug though--hopefully you all stay healthy for the rest of the fall. :)
How's life?