Friday, September 18, 2009

Tracy is 24!

Happy birthday Tracy! My beautiful middle sister is 24 today. She is a good wife and great mom and I'm proud of her.

We didn't always get along. We just did not understand each other when we were little. She cried a lot, so I always got in trouble when I picked on her. I played with Barbies and caught frogs. She carried her baby dolls everywhere. She'd steal my toys so I'd steal them back plus some of hers. We fought over everything, sometimes just because the other one wanted it. This continued through elementary school and middle school. In high school her friends spied on me and my boyfriend. I yelled at them. She got mad at me. Then senior year happened. Leslie (our baby sister) had major back surgery a month after my boyfriend dumped me. I was lonely, we were all a bit scared, and we pulled together. We started hanging out together. Sometimes. We didn't always get along, but things improved.

Then I left for college. And they missed me. And I missed them. So they'd visit me and we'd hang out when I came home. When Tracy started dating, she'd call me for advice. We suddenly had more in common. Then she graduated and we had even more in common. We talked on the phone a lot. We were becoming actual friends. Then she met Donovan, I graduated from college, and then went out on my first date with Steve. Even more in common!

About 6 weeks later, we were both engaged (five days apart). We initially said no to a double wedding. After much discussion, we realized we'd have people driving from all over the state for our weddings twice in the middle of winter. A lot of the same people. So we decided to have one wedding. Best decision ever. Now, a lot of people have told me there's no way they could share their wedding day and the spotlight with someone else. None of the four of us are spotlight people, so that wasn't a problem. And we're all very agreeable. Tracy had her heart set on certain things and I had mine set on other certain things. It all worked out very well. The best part is that my sister and friend was next to me for the whole thing, experiencing all the same things. She understood all of it. And we have this great bond that wouldn't have been as deep otherwise. We shared one of the best days of our lives.

So love, marriage, then babies, right? And we did it almost that quickly. I was pregnant two months after we got married. Tracy found out she was pregnant about six weeks later. Unfortunately, Tracy had a miscarriage. I sobbed. I immediately called and left her a message telling her how sorry I was and I was here for her but would wait for her to call me when she was ready. The last thing I wanted to do was make things harder for her. I was incredibly scared that our special bond was gone. I prayed she would conceive again before I had my baby, thinking that would make it easier for her. It didn't happen.

When Ella was born, Tracy and Donovan came to visit a few days later, right before Thanksgiving. She held Ella, he didn't. I was okay with whatever was good for them. I knew they were happy for us, even if it stung for them. On Christmas Eve, Tracy found out she was pregnant. This time things went much better, and Chloe just turned two. She's an adorable firecracker. Tracy has her hands full with her and her baby sister Haylie. Btw, Tracy gave birth to Chloe after 30 hours of labor and 4 hours of pushing, without any meds. She is seriously one of the strongest people I know, and Chloe's birth is just one example of it.

Happy birthday little sis! I love you!

No comments: