Thursday, November 26, 2009

Thanksgiving 2009

I'm thankful for
- my wonderful husband. He is truly my partner in life, parenting, household work, and everything. He's always been supportive of the things I want or need. He's my best friend and he makes me laugh. He even thinks I'm funny. He's a better husband and dad than I could have imagined. No, he's not perfect, but he's definitely the only person for me.

- my sweet, smart little girls. Yes, they sometimes give me fits. But Ella is so sweet and empathetic. She's smart and can build towers and buildings better than any kid I've seen. She loves books and sings first thing in the morning. Mia is expressive and full of energy. She's empathetic too and gets so concerned if anyone is upset. She's a ham and loves to throw her fists in the air and exclaim, "I did it!" She loves books too and loves to color. They're both pretty cooperative and well-mannered too.

- our new little girl on the way. She's active and healthy. She's measuring exactly on her dates too. And I'm thankful to be halfway there! But I have to say that a few friends due around the same time I am haven't received the same good news at their ultrasounds. One may have a birth defect and another may not be growing as well as she should. Another found out one baby is healthy, but there was a twin that didn't make it. I've been praying for them and it's served as yet another reminder of how blessed we are - we're very fertile, have not suffered a loss or had any complications, and have two very healthy little girls and another on the way. By the way, we discovered that Nora was my great-grandmother's name. She always went by her middle name, Alice. While we didn't plan Nora to be a tribute to Mom's side of the family, she has her name from that side (her middle name was my paternal great-grandmother's name) and will most likely be induced on my grandfather's birthday. As Grandma is getting older, I'm happy to have these little connections to her family.

- our extended families are (mostly) healthy. There's been a bit of the flu going around (regular, not H1N1) but no one is actually sick. Almost everyone has a job, and everyone at least has some money coming in to support their family. Everyone has a place to live, a vehicle, clothes to wear, and food to eat. And we're even fortunate enough to see most of them for the holidays (Annie and Thomas, we miss you and are thinking of you). In my opinion, spending the holidays with family is what makes the holidays so special.

- materially, we're blessed. We have a house that is fully furnished. Most of our things are not new but they're in good shape. We have clothes, plenty of clothes. Same situation with toys and books. To the point I'm not even sure what I want for Christmas! I don't have any unmet needs and can barely come up with things I want. We have two reliable cars and we have carseats for the girls (including an infant carrier for Nora when she comes). Steve has a good job and we have health insurance. I have a good part-time job that gives us just a little extra money.

- we have good friends. Some of them are links to who we used to be and always there when we need them. Others are newer friends, who also have families and understand that part of our lives a bit better. Some fall into both categories. They're near and far and we're thankful for them and their friendship. Life isn't about stuff, it's about the people.

I know it's common for people to run down the list of things they are thankful for this time of year. Please understand today is not the only day I am thankful for these people, these things, all these wonderful blessings. Today is a good reminder to be thankful though. I'm watching the Macy's parade while Ella builds with Lincoln Logs (a wonderful birthday present) and Mia "helps" Steve make French toast in the kitchen. Later we have the big Scott dinner and we'll go to Mom and Dad's in Grand Rapids Friday night. Life is simple and I like it this way.

No comments: