Wednesday, January 6, 2010

26 weeks and counting

Yesterday marked my 26th week of this pregnancy. So I have 14 weeks until my due date. Since the doctor plans on inducing me at 39 weeks at the latest (April 6, my late grandpa's birthday, I hope it happens that day!), that's 13 weeks to go. So 13 weeks minus 1 day and that means I have 90 days left in this pregnancy. Hopefully my last one ever. I suppose some women would be sad about that. I'm not. But then I've spent 24.5 months pregnant. We've only been married 49 months. Yeah, I've been pregnant for half of our marriage. I am so ready to be done with pregnancy.

Don't get me wrong; I want Nora to stay in there for about 3 more months. I want her to be full-term and healthy when she's born. But once she's here, I'm done with pregnancy. Before anyone says anything about us being too young to do anything permanent, realize that birth control has not worked for us. The hormones in the pill (and the patch) make me nuts. I'm like a surly teenager again. I think Mirena would do the same. A copper IUD is also out of the question, since the idea of a foreign object in my body freaks me out and I have a nickel allergy. We've tried condoms. Mia took two nights of not using one. This pregnancy we were even more careful and used condoms every time the month I got pregnant. And none of them broke. Given our record, if we put off doing something permanent, I will get pregnant again. I would almost bet it would be twin girls if we did. As for the argument about trying again for a boy, we've never exactly tried to get pregnant. And we could have ten more kids with no guarantee we'd ever have a boy. Steve loves his little girls and they do "boy" stuff, like playing outside, shooting hoops, playing with cars and trains, and building things. We're good and in agreement that we're done once Nora is here.

No comments: