Friday, January 8, 2010

Defensive

I realize my last post got a bit defensive. To the point that Steve asked me if someone had said something to me. Other than the passing comment, no one has really said anything. I tried to explain to him that I feel like people will make comments and maybe if I get defensive first, they'll think twice and not make the offensive comment. He didn't understand.

Maybe it's just me, but I'm inclined to think it's something all mothers feel at some point, if they care at all what other people think of them. And I admit I care more than I should what other people think of me. As I tried to explain to Steve, it's harder to shrug off comments when your pregnant and hormonal. And comments about parenting decisions or motherhood just seem to hit deep.

I know everyone gets comments. I feel like being a young mom and having kids so close together makes me a walking target. Just last night, someone noticed I was pregnant and asked if I had other kids. I said yes and listed their ages. She laughed and said I must have hit my head. Gee, thanks. I also get comments about how frequently we must have sex. Actually, we're just really fertile. If getting pregnant were a problem or we have actually tried to get pregnant, I think there would have been a lot more sex. And why is anyone speculating on the amount of sex I have with my husband? I also get annoyed with the joke that we haven't figured out what causes a pregnancy. Yes, I somehow managed to get THREE degrees and didn't figure out how a woman gets pregnant. We're not crazy, just crazy fertile. And there's no way that we'd want to not have a child we conceived. We've been increasingly careful but keep getting pregnant. I realize that's an enviable problem to have, but it is becoming a problem unless we want to be the next Duggar family.

I do realize if we'd waited to have kids, people would have made comments then, asking when we were planning on having kids. Or if we'd actually managed to space out our kids, they'd be asking when we're having the next one. That would be annoying too. But why do people seem to think it's acceptable to comment on a couple's choice of when to have kids or how many or think that you're not done until you have one of each sex or think you should be done if you do have one of each sex? There are all the comments on a pregnant woman's body too. Odds are she doesn't want to hear the comment unless you say she looks fabulous or she's glowing. Carrying low, high, big, small or any other way is not a compliment. Saying she looks tired or swollen or miserable is an insult, especially if it's followed up by a comment saying that you hope she goes late (I actually got this my first pregnancy - multiple times). And the twin comments! I know I carry big and show early. Twins do happen to run in my family, but no, I am not having twins. Thanks for telling me I look like a blimp. The offenders are not only men and not even only women who haven't had kids. I just don't understand.

Basically I'm just tired and frustrated. I've spent a lot of time being pregnant, which for me translates into feeling huge and swollen and hypersensitive. I get lots of comments and I'm more irritable than normal. I kind of want to hide out until this baby comes, to avoid the comments and biting anyone's head off. I have three months left and my face is getting puffy and my shirts are getting too tight and short. Since we're having another girl, I feel like I have to argue with people that yes, we're done and we have a right to be done. I know we're young and could have more kids. But we're done. I am so tired of expanding. Pregnancy is nine months of aches and pains followed by labor and then recovery, sleeplessness, and much-needed weight loss. I've done it three times in as many years. I don't want to do it again and don't want to try to afford it either.

Frustrating me further is the fact that with each pregnancy, I have more things I need to do and get less sympathy from Steve. I actually asked him this morning if he was excited about this baby. He assured me he is but that it's just not new. He just seems less interested in what's going on this time. I know none of this is new - it's not for me either. But I feel like he's more involved and I feel less alone if he talks to her or feels her kick or watches her move (last night my stomach was dancing). It doesn't help that my self-esteem takes a hit every pregnancy either. I feel like a big blob and like my brain has taken a vacation. I feel old and creaky.

Does anyone other than Steve read this? Do other moms feel like they have to defend their choices too? It's been a rough week and I'd like to hear that I'm not as alone as I feel.

5 comments:

Julie said...

I stumbled upon your blog a while ago and check back now and then. I just became a new mom in August and I get what you mean about the comments ... I mean, not completely since I only have one, but people are already asking when we will have another!? And before I got pregnant, it was a constant question ... when are you guys going to have kids?

I think you just have to ignore comments for the most part. People who have never been pregnant don't realize how their "compliments" are really not compliments at all. I don't know if your last post was defensive so much as just completely honest. Thanks for being so open and honest.

Your girls are so beautiful! I hope the rest of your pregnancy goes well!

By the way, I don't think we've ever actually met, but I also went to Spring Arbor. :)

The Scott Household said...

i read it every time there's a new blog update :)

i just don't always know what to say, how to say it or am too lazy to comment.

we love you. i love you. we love your family. and we respect/honor your decisions.

if you ever need to go out, away, please call me. i'd love to sit and just "Shoot the shit" over some yummy desserts or whatever sounds good to either of us :)

love you. seriously mean it. but not in a weird way. in a cousin-friend way :)

Liz said...

Yes, Yes! I read each time you post and I didn't comment last time because I didn't know what/how to saw anything without sounding like you needed to justify your decision to people--you and Steve know what's right for your family and it doesn't matter what other people think, but I know how hard it is not to care anyway...
As for people making your family choices their business, I definitely know what you mean and I don't know why it happens all the time.
I tend to carry "small" and I don't know how many times (especially with my pregnancy with Joshua) I was told that I shouldn't be tired yet since I wasn't very far along (these all started after 30 weeks including the two days before I had him!).
I'm tired of justifying our desire to have a third child since somehow the fact we have a a boy and a girl should mean that we're done, no matter if we feel our family isn't complete yet. The first comment I got (from the nurse at my Dr's office, no less) when we found out Lydia was a girl was: "YAY, a girl, now you can stop" as if the only reason we were having another child was to have a girl and that we would automatically be done since she was! I also hate that it's taboo to have a preference on the gender of your child, or the spacing of your child when obviously you will love them no matter the gender and no matter the spacing, but you still might have an opinion on what you'd choose if you could, in fact, choose. And you don't know how many times we've been told how "well we plan" our babies since they're almost exactly two years apart. Well actually, no, neither of them were exactly planned and I wouldn't have put their birthdays so close together if I were choosing. As far as sex, we've actually had people ask us if we ever have sex any other time since our babies birthdays are so close together...What?!?!?! Do people really think you get a baby everytime you have sex, or that you're not having sex at other times because you got pregnant around the same time of year twice?
Anyway, now I'm ranting...but I do know what you mean.
Hang in there, and soon enough you'll be holding Nora and she'll be absolutely perfect for your family!
Also, I love your FB profile picture, you do glow!

Paula said...

Thank you for the wonderful notes! They made me smile and feel less crazy. :)
Julie, thank you. It helps to hear another mom say it sounded honest and not defensive. You look familiar but I'm not sure we've met either. I just read your entire blog! lol.
Amanda, thanks. Dessert sometime would be nice. It'll have to be soon if it's before your baby comes! I love you too. We seriously need to spend more time with you and Caleb.
Liz, sorry I missed you while you were here! Next time, definitely. (Btw, happy birthday Lydia!)LOL! People say the craziest things, don't they? And they're funny later but not when you first hear them. Since our EDD is only one day different from Amelia's, I'm surprised no one has said anything about only having sex in July! I have to admit, I think part of my defensiveness is because none of this was exactly planned. So I feel like I need to defend it so I don't seem irresponsible or something? Doesn't make much sense. But it's nice to have someone who understands the lack of planning! My kids are the best unplanned things ever and I wouldn't change it, but I am so glad we shouldn't have any more unplanned additions in the future! And thank you! I don't feel like I'm glowing but it sure is nice to hear it! :)

sara luke said...

When I was pregnant with Ben, someone at the doctor's office asked me how many I was carrying. When I said, "Uh, one," she said, "Oh, sorry."

It was awesome.